My Cascadia Orientation
Prepare to be disappointed
Plan is to
- Keep the good stuff
- Clear out the underbrush - the stuff that nobody looks at
- Encourage campus community to learn and play around; change it to something that works for you if you are a person that maintains content.
- Understands the limits of training to date and will be hiring an asst director for professional development. This person will be responsible for MyCascadia training, guide-by-the-side to facilitate learning
- Reorganize and redesign
- Keep taking additional steps to take advantage of the new environment; incremental steps.
MyCascadia as it currently stands is basically the same as Zocalo.
Same address on and off campus
Good news: no need to log in when you are on campus.
More good news: password is the same as your network login
Less good news - will need to log in for each document opened when off campus.
Another problem - when they moved Zocalo to MyCascadia, some of the permissions got broken. If you run into a document that you should be able to open but can't, send in a help desk ticket - its an easy fix.
Other good new things:
- Bread crumb navigation (will always be able to see where you are in the site structure)
- MySite - you can set up and control who sees what under Profile. Has a social networking feature to it, allowing easy searching amongst pages
- Blogging, wikis (rather awful) and RSS feeds facilitated.
- Document review workflow facilitated (saves sending document to a bunch of people to edit and tracking multiple versions)
- If something is broken, send a helpdesk ticket for repair
- Beginning to purge un-used sites. IT will send out a list of unused sites and will delete if they don't hear otherwise. Send a helpdesk ticket to save.
- Directory updates are coming so that only current employees are listed
- Regular trainings starting in July (after training person hired)
- Class site templates with gradebook, course planning, and student messaging (August) (supported through Helpdesk, who will be supported by Microsoft's contractor)
- New templates for departments, committees, projects (July)
- Navigation structure change (possibly August)
- Calendar (possibly September)