Monday, November 1, 2010

The musings of a futurist

The next speaker, Dan Rasmus, is a futurist and a fellow at Bellevue College. He started by asking people to step away from the assumption of completion. He argues that, in a knowledge economy, completion is not what students are hiring us for (noting that he does not reject the idea of students as customer). This is interesting since the last speaker said that we should't fool ourselves into thinking that many students come to college not seeking completion and if they don't complete we are failing them.

I'm not sure what the takeaway is from this presentation. Isn't that often the case with presentations like this?  He asked several interesting questions, but I didn't really hear any answers. There certainly wasn't anything I can take back to my office and improve the way I do things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home