Doom and gloom
The final presentation is from Jean Floten, president of Bellevue College. This is the doom and gloom presentation that is graphically explaining the new normal:
- dramatically reduced funding
- what funding there is is earmarked so colleges have less flexibility in meeting locally identified
- no new buildings anywhere for 10 - 15 years
- foundations setting priorities and driving agendas through funding
- concern about freezing out poor people from higher education
- Universities took big hits in the last round and they may be arguing that it is the community college's turn
- new legislature will make it harder to meet CC priorities
- transfer agreements with UW may result in a reduction of the students being able to transfer in.
She recommended that, even in these grim times, we look to the future and engage in systems thinking.