Great news from the SBCTC. I'll be sending out information about this after faculty are back in session next week.
Greetings eLearning Council,
A big part of the strategic technology plan is about professional development for faculty and staff.
Strategy III says we should “create a system of lifelong learning and change management for faculty, staff and college leadership.” And Action 3 (in that strategy) says we should: “buy a statewide membership in leading national professional development consortia, and extend benefits to all faculty and staff.”
Great news – we just bought the first national consortia membership!
The SBCTC eLearning Team has purchased a Sloan Consortium 2008 / 2009 College Pass. Sloan-C is a consortium of institutions and organizations committed to quality online education. They provide online workshops delivered by national experts. With the purchase of College Pass, many of our faculty and staff can participate in these workshops at no cost to the college.
Key Benefits of the SLOAN-C College Pass:
• Over 20 online workshops were scheduled for 2008, though less than half are remaining.
• Quality workshops are online… to fit busy schedules.
• Workshops are archived and remain available from the time they are offered, until the end of the calendar year, allowing participants to reference materials even if they missed a session.
Guidelines for Participation
• Our 2008 college pass provides 150 TOTAL seats for all workshops through December 31, 2008.
o each college is limited to 4 TOTAL seats for the 2008 series.
one person registered for one workshop = one seat
• The eLearning Team is asking college ELC reps to be responsible for advertising this opportunity and allocating your 4 seats.
• We also encourage all workshop participants to share what they learned, with their colleagues (maybe a “brown bag” lunch), after the workshop has ended – though we leave that decision to you.
• SLOAN-C workshops are typically last 1-2 weeks (sample workshop description), so each is a serious time commitment. When sharing this opportunity with faculty and staff, and then selecting your four participants, please let them know what they are getting into. We don’t want seats to go unused.
The logistics will be pretty simple (detailed instructions forthcoming)
1. You tell me you want to participate by October 1, 2008 (If I do not hear from you by October 1, your college’s 4 seats will be redistributed)
2. You advertise this to your faculty and staff and identify find 4 participants (You can include yourself as a participant).
3. I’ll get you the 2008 registration “coupon” code
4. You sign them up using SLOAN’s registration process
5. Participants attend the sessions and then share what they’ve learned with others at your college.
6. You share what participants and/or you leaned at ELC meetings.
Better news … once we work out the kinks with this membership, we plan to join more national consortia and push those benefits out to the colleges. Feel free to contact me with any questions.